Sunday

Vote with your Kids

Since the day my kids were born, I've brought them with me to the ballot box. When they were infants, I handed them off to my husband and we would take turns in the voting booth. Then they were toddlers and jumped with joy when handed the "I voted" stickers to plaster to their chests and car seats. Now my kids are in middle school and have begun asking numerous questions as campaign season rolls into high gear. They ask about the political ads they see on TV, they ask about the yard signs we pass in our neighborhood, and they ask about who I think should be president and why. 

Whether my political leanings are correct is not the point. I'm raising kids who I want to be interested and engaged citizens. I take them to the polls with me because I want them to grow up knowing that they can have a say in what is happening in our city and our country. The right to vote should not be taken lightly.

Today, to my delight the JCP Sunday insert had a beautiful image of a mom with her young son in a voting booth. While all the clothes I may see in the ad are "on sale now", I still found it encouraging that this retailer was glamorizing voting. It is chic and should always be. I also like that JCP was using the weekend before the election about the election and not the holiday season. 

Many friends and acquaintances now vote by mail, while voting by mail may be preferable someday, as long as I have children in tow I will take them with me to the polls. 

Please vote. And if you have kids, make it a field trip.

No comments: